![]() |
| Parents of kindergartners at the Back-2-School Night 2 |
Several weekends ago, Melissa and I were in the car
returning from a visit to our son and daughter-in-law in Massachusetts when a
song we both like played on the radio. Prominently in the background was a
banjo. I mentioned something about having wanted to learn to play the banjo.
Well, within fifteen minutes Melissa had not only located a banjo for me using
her smart phone, but had arranged for us to pick it up, had notified all of our
children that I was going to learn to play and encouraged me to
sign up to play it at one of the Lower School assemblies. Whew….
![]() |
| First-grade parents learning first hand what their child ren experience every day. |
Despite this, I have persisted for several weeks now. I have
not yet arranged for lessons, but thanks to the internet, I have learned to
tune my banjo, oriented myself to reading a form of music notation called tablature,
and begun to learn to play some things that are beginning to actually sound
recognizable. As I struggled at the very beginning to even tune the thing, and
then to make awkward finger placements, wondering how I could ever accomplish
them in quick succession, I must admit that I seriously questioned why I even
started.
![]() |
| Three-year-olds learn Spanish while they make a snack. |
![]() |
| At the "Service Dog" assembly |
![]() |
| Third graders have fun learning about phase changes using dry ice in science class. |
My excitement, motivation and anticipation is completely different from my childhood experience. I feel engaged and challenged, but have no expectation of myself that I have to be perfect. This is the essence of what I want for our students.
Stay tuned!
The Preschool 4 has an exciting new blog post. Click here to view.
![]() |
| After two weeks, the Lower School is still in the lead over the Middle and Upper Schools! |
![]() |
| Fifth-graders taking weekly meter reading for the Green Cup Challenge. |

Hi my name is Hannah. Today I'm going to tell you about what the set designers have been doing. The set designers are Jake and Julia. I interviewed both Julia and Jake and asked them what the set designers have been doing? They said they have been drawing abstract drawings about the theme which is rumors. They have been choosing lines, shapes and colors that might reflect this idea. Right now they are working on the particular scenes that they were assigned. I asked them what is the most important part of their job? They said it is mainly about making the opera come to life! Finally, I asked them what they enjoy most about their job? They both seem to enjoy drawing and painting the set. They really look forward to making the opera come to life, which they will do by creating the scenery and sets to go with the story. Jake also added that he likes learning more from Ms. Garcia about drawing, painting and art. Stay tuned for next week when Audrey will be talking about carpenters.








