Lower School Notes Archive

Monday, April 28, 2014





Statement of Philosophy
Kimberly Lewis


My journey as an educator began on an alternate route.  Being a member of the Founding Corps of Teach for America in 1990, I wore my commitment to children as a symbol for giving back what I felt that I had been given in schools – care and the encouragement to soar. 

In those early years of my career, my youthful drive was laudable, yet naïve at best.  There were days, moments, during those initial years when I was so unprepared to meet the demands.  I quickly realized that I would need much more in my toolkit if I was going to make a lasting difference as an educator, not only in the lives of the children, but also in the community at large. 

My inquisitive nature, coupled with my strength as an experiential learner, led me to journey through a variety of schools and school communities. My mission – to seek information from a variety of settings in order to make a lasting and positive impact.  I transitioned from public schools to charter schools to partnership schools and then to an independent school, always in search of the most effective practices – teaching practices, parent-involvement practices, after-school program models and diversity initiatives.  Thankfully, my decision to embark on this journey led me to experience things that would help me to further define myself.  I have learned how to articulate what I believe about all children and what I believe is necessary to be a courageous and effective school leader.  

Meeting with parents

The light inside a child burns purest and brightest.  It is my job to make sure that it never dulls or extinguishes.  If I come in contact with a child whose light has dimmed, it is my job to find the flint, ignite the spark, and fan until they become a roaring flame.  For me the children are always at the center.

Throughout these years, the children have meant the most to me.  The diversity of their lives and experiences has amazed and intrigued, yet also nurtured and sustained me.  Young people ask the most profound questions.  I believe that they possess seedlings of extraordinary ideas that need only be watered and nourished by caring adults. 

The children that I have worked with have come from different ethnic backgrounds, religious experiences, socio-economic communities, family structures and ways of life.  They have had varied academic and developmental strengths, and a wide expanse of emotional needs.  Despite these differences, what they have had in common is the need to feel known and cared for.  What they seek and test for are not only trusted adults who will not only understand their varied interests in Hip-Hop or Chamber music, Rainbow Loom or Parkour, but also trusted adults who will hold them accountable, have high expectations of them, and make them feel safe.

What I have come to know is that it is critical for me to work in school communities that are dedicated to holding children in the center and igniting or preserving their light.  What I am most interested in now for the children that are in my care, and for those that will be in my care, is making sure that their pathways to the future are brightly lit.  I am interested in exploring and implementing innovative teaching and learning methodologies.  I have witnessed the power of technology being used to connect young children from my school with students around the world.  Using innovative technology to build bridges of understanding is just one example of preparing children for a more global-centric future.

So if the children are the lights at the center of my work, then how do I effectively transfer that energy to my work as a school leader with teachers, parents and the greater community?  My leadership philosophy guides the way.

The work of our second graders in support of Canine Companions
was reported in a recent issue of the Northern Valley Suburbanite.
Caninie Companions supplies working dogs for disabled individuals.
The principal’s job demands so many elements of courage - idealism, energy, humility, a collaborative nature, an adeptness with curriculum and pedagogical practices, strong social and entrepreneurial instincts, a comfort level with accountability and ongoing change, and above all, an inner urgency - to improve the lives of children.

All schools deserve a courageous school leader; one who can 
maintain a focus on the academic, social and emotional life of the children, while understanding, supporting and celebrating the professionalism and passions of the teachers and staff.  I value and respect my teachers.  Over the course of ten years, I have worked alongside incredible teachers in two schools with different pedagogical approaches and philosophies.  Although the missions of the schools were vastly different, the teachers were very intelligent, intuitive and dedicated.  I place a high value on establishing connections with my teachers around the work that we do with our children.  I enjoy getting to know my teachers as learners as well.  I have a new found interest in adult development as it relates to work in schools and school change.  I have been reading the work of Eleanor Drago-Severson, author of Leading Adult Learning, who has done considerable research about ways that leaders can effectively support adult development in schools. 

It takes courage to be an entrepreneur.  As an entrepreneurial school leader, not only do I have to have the eye of an analyst, but I must also demonstrate the managerial competencies needed to create and maintain a space for dynamic teaching and learning.  Essential to courageous work with children and teachers, I must demonstrate the ability to manage a school program effectively.  When a school is managed effectively, space is created for programs to grow and to thrive.  As the school leader, I must demonstrate the capability to prioritize, to work efficiently, to communicate clearly with all constituents and to follow through on goals that are set.  I spent the past few years implementing a variety of systems that improved communication, safety and productivity in my current school. 

Our Lower School strings students at their solo recital last week.
A collaborative school leader has courage. As a collaborative school leader it is important that I embrace partnerships with parents, alumni, and community members in order to maintain an environment that values the contributions of all.  A collaborative school leader works with all members of the community, yet is poised to make decisions that uphold the mission and vision.  My success as a teacher and leader is directly related to my ability to make connections with people, to understand their perspective, to build teams and to stand firm when difficult decisions have to be made.  It takes creative balance, understanding and resilience to build consensus, to negotiate and to inspire collaborative work.  I have honed those skills and view conflicts, their effective management, and their resolution as opportunities for growth.

Finally, it takes courage to be a humble school leader – one that demonstrates integrity, is self-aware and is always a teacher and a life-long learner. Over the past 23 years, I have learned a great deal, yet my commitment and passion for the children has not changed.   I courageously look forward to what the future is holding for them and for me.  I look forward to learning and leading at the Dwight-Englewood School. 

***
Remember: Thursday, May 1st is
Dress-Up Day in honor of the fifth-grade opera.

*** 
From the Parents' Association Family Fun Night/Talent Show

























Great family show
Click here for Ticket Order Form.Lower School Families are encouraged to come to the 4 pm matinee on 5/8