"Challenges are what make life interesting and
overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Joshua J. Marine
![]() |
| Creativity comes naturally to our youngest students. Nurturing their creativity as they grow older is one of our greatest challenges. |
Plan to Attend the Grade Level Curriculum Nights:
(This is a chance for you to participate in learning activities that engage your children!)
Preschool, kindergarten and first-grade parents
7:00-8:00 p.m., Thursday, January 30th
Second-through fifth-grade parents
7:00-8:00 p.m., Tuesday, February 4th
![]() |
| Fourth and first-grade partners working together |
But wait! Just because one can do anything doesn’t mean that one should try to do everything. Part of growing up should be learning that one has limits, at least on the number of things one can juggle simultaneously. Learning to deal with a certain amount of stress is useful preparation for what life will inevitably throw one’s way. However, equating busyness with self-worth is a sure route to high levels of stress and leads to what is a uniquely American frenetic superficiality.
![]() |
| Preschool students brought the snow indoors! |
The reality is that all the experiences, education and encouragement we give our children should be less to make them attractive to colleges and more to prepare them for life. Lower School is not too early to help children begin to understand that trying everything is important, but finding a limited number of true interests to pursue is essential. Learning to make choices, set priorities and establish preferences lays a foundation for happiness.
![]() |
| Fifth-grade math students work on very challenging problems with mathematics specialist, Mrs. Gottling. |
It is both difficult and important to remember that a primary job of parents and teachers is to help those who started out as helpless infants prepare for a life of self-sufficiency, full of confident risk-taking, problem-solving, and choice-making. This will allow children to decide on what they do want to do by realizing they do not have to do everything.
Opera Update:Composers
By: Ellie
Hi, I’m Ellie, a 5th grade public relations officer. I’m here to tell you about the composers. There are three composers: Emily, Ryan, and Zachary. It is part of my job to interview them.
Each composer had a different response to my questions. “I joined the composers because I like playing instruments, like the piano.” says Emily. “ I joined because I enjoy playing music.” says Zachary. The composers have been very busy learning to compose music for the opera. “ So far, I’ve been practicing learning to play the melodies on the piano.” says Emily. “We’ve been taking the writer’s lyrics and making melodies for the songs.” says Zachary. Although some of the composers have musical experience, they have learned things they never knew before. “I learned that people prefer the C scale, and that some people compose music by ear.” says Ryan. “ I learned notes on the piano.” says Emily. Since the opera has not yet been completed, the composers still have a lot of composing to do and many other things to look forward to. “I can’t wait for the final performance!” says Ryan. “I’m looking forward to getting more lyrics from the writers so we can compose more music.” says Zach. I hope you enjoyed learning about the composers! Stay tuned for next time when Salmaan will tell you about the electricians.
| The fifth-grade opera composers. |
***
Interesting reading for parents on how inactivity changes the brain.
***
There is a new post on Mrs.Milbauer's Music Blog, including preschool 4 students singing!
***
Up Coming Events








