![]() |
| Spring means music lessons can move outdoors. |
![]() |
| The Lower School String Ensemble at the All School Orchestra Extravaganza |
An Inspiring Video That Helps Us All to Value What is Most Important for Our Children, Our Students and Ourselves
(Well worth a 20 minute investment of your time!)
Brené Brown, Ph.D., LMSW has spent the past decade studying vulnerability, courage, worthiness and shame. Brené's 2010 TEDx Houston talk, The Power of Vulnerability is one of the most watched talks on TED.com, with over 8.5 million views. Since then she has appeared on Today, Katie and Oprah Winfrey's Super Soul Sunday.
Her books: Daring Greatly, The Gifts of Imperfection
Her books: Daring Greatly, The Gifts of Imperfection
"...Let me tell you what we think about children. They're hardwired for struggle when they get here. And when you hold those perfect little babies in your hand, our job is not to say, 'Look at her, she's perfect. My job is just to keep her perfect — make sure she makes the tennis team by fifth grade and Yale by seventh grade.' That's not our job. Our job is to look and say, 'You know what? You're imperfect, and you're wired for struggle, but you are worthy of love and belonging.' That's our job. Show me a generation of kids raised like that, and we'll end the problems I think that we see today."
Problem Solving and Engagement
![]() |
| One of several groups of engaged engineers! |
A picture is worth a thousand words, however, I will use a few words to put the picture in context.
Several weeks ago, a student wanted me to know that they had spotted a cellphone that had been dropped 12 ft to the bottom of drainage grate on the school side of the queuing road. As I love to think up engineering challenges, here was one that had simply presented itself. All I had to do was spread the word that it would be great to see if it were possible to retrieve the phone. By now a week has passed, with groups of students at each recess working hard using a variety of strategies. I would estimate that already 200 student hours have been invested in the challenge. It will be interesting to see if and how the task can be accomplished. No matter what the outcome, it is a demonstration of the power of student engagement that can result in the face of an interesting real-world problem!
As testing continues this week, please remember the importance of plenty of sleep and a healthy breakfast !


Hi, my name is Audrey and I am a public relations officer. Today I am going to tell you about the assistant stage manager, Carly Frommer. I interviewed Carly and asked her a few questions. First I asked,”What is your job about?” She said,”as an assistant stage manager I create all of the props in the opera and work with the CC’s. (The CC’s is a nickname for the performers who are in the Conscience Chorus.) Second, I asked her,”What is your favorite part about your job?” She answered that the favorite part about her job is making the props. Lastly, I asked her, “Do you like your job?” She said that she really likes her job. In addition to this, Carly told me that she likes working with the performers. Her advisor is Mary Heveran. Stay tuned for next time when Nick will be telling us about the production manager.
There is a new post on the Opera-tunity Blog.
The day of the Opera (Thursday, May 2nd) will be a DRESS UP DAY!
Several weeks ago, a student wanted me to know that they had spotted a cellphone that had been dropped 12 ft to the bottom of drainage grate on the school side of the queuing road. As I love to think up engineering challenges, here was one that had simply presented itself. All I had to do was spread the word that it would be great to see if it were possible to retrieve the phone. By now a week has passed, with groups of students at each recess working hard using a variety of strategies. I would estimate that already 200 student hours have been invested in the challenge. It will be interesting to see if and how the task can be accomplished. No matter what the outcome, it is a demonstration of the power of student engagement that can result in the face of an interesting real-world problem!
As testing continues this week, please remember the importance of plenty of sleep and a healthy breakfast !

Hi, my name is Audrey and I am a public relations officer. Today I am going to tell you about the assistant stage manager, Carly Frommer. I interviewed Carly and asked her a few questions. First I asked,”What is your job about?” She said,”as an assistant stage manager I create all of the props in the opera and work with the CC’s. (The CC’s is a nickname for the performers who are in the Conscience Chorus.) Second, I asked her,”What is your favorite part about your job?” She answered that the favorite part about her job is making the props. Lastly, I asked her, “Do you like your job?” She said that she really likes her job. In addition to this, Carly told me that she likes working with the performers. Her advisor is Mary Heveran. Stay tuned for next time when Nick will be telling us about the production manager.
There is a new post on the Opera-tunity Blog.
The day of the Opera (Thursday, May 2nd) will be a DRESS UP DAY!
![]() |
| First-graders working in the gardern |

![]() |
Mother and father ducks looking for a place
to nest in our back yard. |
![]() |
| The opposing team! |
Up Coming Events
***
D-E's Got Talent
Friday April 26th
7-9 pm (pizza at 6:30)
Hajjar Auditorium
Join us for family fun at "A Night at the Races" at the Meadowlands "Pegasus" Restaurant on Friday, May 3, 2013 and support Dwight-Englewood's financial aid fund. There will be trips to the paddocks to meet the horses and face painting.***
D-E's Got Talent
Friday April 26th
7-9 pm (pizza at 6:30)
Hajjar Auditorium



.jpg)
















