More Lower School BLOGs Added to the List
Spanish teacher, Janet Glass, has added her third through fifth grade Spanish BLOG to the growing list of Lower School blogs available. To view it now, click on here. It will also always be available by a click below the welcome banner on the Lower School Notes. D-E Explorers now has its own blog too.
Cafeteria Confessionals| Fifth Graders |
I have several feel-good experiences that I can look forward
to almost every day. First comes greeting students at drop-off each morning.
This provides an opportunity to build relationships with most students just
about every school day. The second is eating with first through fifth graders
in our cafeteria. There are three seatings: the fifth graders eat early, first
and second graders eat next, and after them the third and fourth graders.
Unless I have a meeting over the lunch period, I often enjoy eating with
students during one of the three lunches.
| Fifth Graders |
Many of us may look back on lunch time at school, especially
in Middle or Upper School, and remember how bad it felt when no one made room
for you at their table. Well, for me it is just the opposite. Even at my
advanced age it is an ego boost when students at several tables make room and actively
invite me to join them. Sometimes I have to make promises that I will sit with
a particular student or table the next day. It is not always easy to arrange my
legs so they fit through the low bench seats or sit on the miniscule individual
round stools, but it sure is worth it. The conversations vary with students of
different developmental stages, but they are always interesting. For first and
second graders, I am always invited to see their loose teeth or the newly
created gap. I get
| Second Graders |
to know who has play dates, and sometimes I hear about who
is having difficulty with friends on the playground. Third and fourth graders
plan their recess activities very carefully, and boys and girls do not sit
together quite as easily as they once did. Fifth graders often share their out-of-school
interests and activities or want to run assembly ideas or other initiatives by
me. Most recently the topic has been around Halloween and costume selections.
A question that I get no matter who I sit with is why I take
two glasses of water. It doesn’t occur to them that I am at least twice as big
as most of them, and that I don’t want to have to unfold myself from the table
in the middle of the lunch to get a refill. I also get questions about our dogs
Graham and Gracie, what Mrs. Davies and I are planning and about our kids.
I feel honored to be invited to share in their world and to
have conversations about a wide range of
| First Graders |
Of course, I also take pleasure stopping by the kindergarten
rooms where they are eating lunch to borrow a banana so I can talk with lunch
supervisor Senora Harrison on our “banana
phones.” This never fails to get smiles from the kindergartners as we
yell into our bananas across the room. Preschoolers also always like to show me
what their moms have pack for their lunches when I visit them in their rooms
during lunch time.
I know some principals who do things differently by asking
students, on a rotating basis, to join them for lunch in his or her office.
Some teachers have also suggested this approach. I think this is a fine idea,
but it is not for me. I have
to confess, that I like visiting with students on their terms. I learn a great
deal about them in the process. It also serves as a reminder of things that are
important to children that we adults sometimes forget.
Molly
As many parents may have already heard, Molly, our beloved rabbit,
who lived in Ms Lemire’s science room, passed away early last week. She had had
difficulty with her hind legs since the summer. Some students speculated that
she had gotten her legs caught in her cage. It may have been sickness or just
old age.
| Students Speaking at the Memorial Planting |
For three and a half years she had greeted students every
day in the science room. She could stay outside of her cage, as she felt comfortable
on the rug in the middle of the room, but not beyond. For many students, their relationship
with Molly was the first that they had had with a pet, and learning to gently
and respectfully care for her has been important in developing their sense of
empathy. Molly never failed to be the center of attraction as potential new
students visited the school. Preschoolers through fifth graders, even teachers,
who were having a bad day found solace in spending one-on-one time with Molly.
The way we decided to respond to her passing gives an insight
into the culture of the Lower School and how we chose to engage our students in
building our community and their own individual character.
In discussions at an adult level, it seemed to make sense
that we use some time at the end of our weekly assembly to honor Molly’s
passing. Since we did not want students taken by surprise during the assembly,
we had made sure that all students were aware of Molly’s passing the day before.
Three fifth graders, who had known Molly her entire life,
chose to lead that part of the assembly. They made brief comments, led a moment
of silence and presented Ms Lemire with a sympathy card. In this way our oldest
students modeled for the assembled school, as preschoolers and kindergartners
sat in their fifth grade buddies’ laps, how to honor and respect those who we care about. The fifth graders said that a flowering plant would be planted to honor
Molly by one of the fences near the school gardens and that students would have
a chance to attend and to speak about her. Fifty students showed up and almost
all took a turn expressing their feelings. For others, there will be an
opportunity to add a page of their own design to a memory book that will remain
in the Science Room.
At every step, there were powerful messages about caring and opportunities for all members of our community to learn to express their feelings.
Don’t Miss This Presentation!
The Parent Education Partnership (PEP) theme for 2011-12 is
RESILIENCY. With the guidance
of expert speakers, hands-on workshops and interactive discussions,
parents will learn to help their children navigate the social and
academic stresses and pressures from Lower to Upper school years.
To kick-off this year's theme, please join us on Wednesday evening, November 16 from 7:00-9:00 pm in Hajjar Auditorium to learn from nationally renowned speaker Dr. Robert Brooks about "Raising Resilient Children and Adolescents".
RESILIENCY. With the guidance
of expert speakers, hands-on workshops and interactive discussions,
parents will learn to help their children navigate the social and
academic stresses and pressures from Lower to Upper school years.To kick-off this year's theme, please join us on Wednesday evening, November 16 from 7:00-9:00 pm in Hajjar Auditorium to learn from nationally renowned speaker Dr. Robert Brooks about "Raising Resilient Children and Adolescents".